Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Lets get this Yankees season started!

The New York Yankees begin their 2008 season a day later than most teams after the rainout last night. I'm very excited for this upcoming season and it will be the primary focus for the next few months of the blog. I think that there is more to be happy about going into this season then there was last season. We can start with the pitching staff, where the young kids have loads of potential for fans to go googly-eyed over. Then the lineup, which has an Alex Rodriguez who is perceived so much better then he was before his monster April last season.

Take a look at Alex Rodriguez a year ago today, to now. Before last season, Rodriguez had controversy surrounding him after his part in the Yankees collapse at the hands of Detroit. He goes on to win the MVP and is now beloved by New York.

This season will be bringing about change, and I'm sad to see it. I have never seen a Yankee team without Joe Torre in the dugout (I first started following closely in 1996, at the age of five), and this is the last season of my favorite place on Earth, The House That Ruth Built. There is no where else that I'd rather spend my time, it's hallowed ground in my opinion. I'll be trying to make a few trips there this season to spend some final days with the place.

I do believe the Yankees take back the AL East this season, in an unbiased opinion. The pitching staff is very comparable to Bostons. Tampa Bay may actually have a better rotation then both of them when healthy, but they have other problems (no April Fools' either). The Yankees lineup is solid as always, and seeing Godzilla hitting 8th is just insane. I'm interested in seeing what Morgan Ensberg can do for the Yanks this season, he's just a couple years removed from an All-Star season.

I'll probably put in some thoughts on Opening Day late tonight or tomorrow. Enjoy the game, it will be the last time you'll see an Opening Day at Yankee Stadium.

No comments: